(Click “Creating a Caring Community of Learners: Kimberly and Vanessa’s 1st/2nd Grade Classroom” Guiding Questions to download the pdf version.)
Consider these questions when viewing the videos:
- What practices and structures in the classroom did Kimberly and Vanessa put into place during the early weeks of school?
- How do mindfulness and gratitude practices (breathing, reflection on the glitter bottle, shaking hands and thanking each other for being a part of the community at the end of the day) contribute to the sense of community?
- What do you think is the purpose/benefit of the class charter?
- What benefits do you think snacktime provide?
Play and Active Learning in the 2nd grade
- It’s unusual to see a 1st or 2nd grade classroom that has so many opportunities for choice time, play, and active learning. What do you think children are learning during “Open Work Time?”
- How do you think the classroom Open Work Time impacts the teaching of required knowledge and skills?
- What do you think is the purpose/benefit of the school-wide Open Work time?
Stewards of the Earth
- What are the children learning from participating in the Billion Oyster Project?
- In what other ways are children in this classroom learning to be citizens?
- What else do you notice about these videos?
- What do you wonder about?
- What do you take away that you might want to try in your own classroom?
©All Rights Reserved, The High Quality Early Learning Project, 2016-2020.